When I started this blog, I had folks tell me about Arroz con Salchichas and I searched the book high and low but couldn't find a Nitza version to Arroz con Salchichas. So, I decided to go cheater-style and create my own version, with a little help from Louisa.
Arroz con Salchichas, cheater style
2 10oz cans Armour Vienna Bites (salchichas that come pre-cut)
1. Heat the olive oil in a deep pot.
2. Add the onion, chopped and the garlic, minced - if you have it.
3. Drain the liquid from the salchichas cans into a measuring cup (should yield about 1.5 cups).
4. Add the salchichas to the olive oil (and sofrito).
5. When salchichas are golden, add the liquid from the cans plus 3.5 cups water. In total, you should add 5 cups liquid (some have suggested using beer or white wine, but I've used water until now).
6. When the liquid starts to boil, add the 2 pouches of yellow rice.
8. When all that comes up to a boil, stir again and cover.
9. Cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
Serve hot with maduros, a fried egg on top (thanks, CAB), or alone.
I found out later on that Arroz con Salchichas is in Nitza's book as a variation to Arroz con Camarones. So I'll make it, one day, when I've got lots of time to spare. But until then, and then again after then, it's this cheater meal that can be made on any weeknight all the way.