Thursday, July 22, 2010

Torticas de Coco

This recipe lives in the Galleticas chapter, so I thought they’d be cookies. Silly silly.

Recipe #495: Torticas de Coco

We were on our annual beach vacation in Sarasota and I had most of the ingredients for this recipe on-hand. I was missing the coconut, a pretty key ingredient, but, at least once a day, someone from our family hits the grocery store, so I had my shredded coconut within a few hours. I was also missing the Corn Flakes that were part of the ingredients, but because my mother-in-law purchased a lifeboat-sized box of Frosted Flakes at Costco before the trip (my father-in-law likes Frosted Flakes. I saw him eat Frosted Flakes once during the week-long vacation), I decided to help the Frosted Flakes usage.

I was pretty much on easy-street until the end, when I realized that was I was making was more like merenguitos de coco and not coconut cookies. Sure, the first part of the recipe called for egg whites to be beaten until soft peaks form. But it wasn’t until the cookies, I mean, merengues, came out of the oven and weren’t sticking to their cookie-shape that I realized that this would have been a kick-ass recipe if I would have formed little merengue kisses like my best friend’s mom, Rosana, taught me for her famous chocolate chip merengues.

IMG 854

Putting the mixture of the beaten egg whites, sugar, corn flakes, chopped nuts, shredded coconut and vanilla all in a pastry bag (or Ziploc with the tip cut off) and squirting out hershey’s kiss-shaped merengues is the way to go on this next time. If any of you give it a try, let me know. I’m moving on to the next tortica recipe. There’s plenty to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment